Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Women's Auxiliary of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
Physical description area
205 slides : col.
2 filmstrips : col.
4 audio discs : (ca. 13 min) vinyl
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Women’s Auxiliary of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary (1913-- ) supports the programs and needs of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, especially in relation to the training of men and women committed to a Christian ministry. On February 27, 1913 the Women’s Auxiliary of the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary was established by founding members Ida Stahlschmidt, Clara Conrad, Mrs. Martin Bieber, and Louise Hagen. These women provided cleaning and laundry service to students living in residence, and encouraged congregations of the English and German Synods to make donations of money, food, and household goods to the Seminary.
As the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada grew, and Waterloo College was established, the Women’s Auxiliary required additional support. Each congregation in the Canada Synod was asked to establish a “Branch Auxiliary”, with members paying an annual membership fee. Branch Auxiliary members united at annual general meetings to elect an Executive Board, and make decisions about donations and projects. Over the years the Women’s Auxiliary has provided bursaries for students, furnished residences and classrooms, and donated more than $1 million to capital projects on campus.
In 1960 the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada applied for a revision of its charter and Waterloo Lutheran University was established. The new university had two academic units - Waterloo University College and Waterloo Lutheran Seminary. At the 1960 annual general meeting the auxiliary’s name was officially changed to the Women’s Auxiliary of Waterloo Lutheran University. The members continued on with their mission, supporting university and seminary students, and contributing to the growth and success of the campus.
In 1973 Waterloo Lutheran University became a provincially funded university and the name changed to Wilfrid Laurier University. Waterloo Lutheran Seminary became a federated college of the university. At the auxiliary’s 1973 annual general meeting the members voted unanimously to become the Women’s Auxiliary of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary. In 2013 the members celebrated 100 years of generous support to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary and its students. Maintaining a long-standing tradition, each graduate of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary is presented with a handmade quilt crafted by Women’s Auxiliary members.