Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Western Canada Synod, United Lutheran Church in America
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA) was an American and Canadian Lutheran church body based out of New York City. It was founded in 1918, in commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, by the merging of the General Synod (founded in 1820), which was comprised of 24 synods, the General Council (1867), which was comprised of 13 synods, and the United Synod of the South (1863), which was comprised of 8 synods. The Slovak Zion Synod (1919) joined in 1920, as did the Icelandic Synod (1885) in 1942.
The ULCA had two presidents: Rev. Frederick Hermann Knubel, 1918 to 1944; and Rev. Franklin Clark Fry from 1944 to 1962.
When the ULCA was formed in 1918, the General Council contained four Canadian synods: The Canada Synod (formed in 1861); Synod of Manitoba and Other Provinces (1897); Central Canada Synod (1908); and the Nova Scotia Synod (1903). These synods were combined, creating the Canada Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America.
The Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Manitoba and Other Provinces was organized on July 23, 1897 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The Canada Synod had begun mission work in Manitoba in 1888, leading to the German Mission Board of the General Council efforts to establish a synod. In October of 1897 the Manitoba Synod was received into General Council. In June 1947, the name was changed to the Western Canada Synod (ULCA).
In 1962, the ULCA, which included the Canada Synod, joined with other American Lutheran church groups to form the Lutheran Church in America (LCA). As the LCA was formed, the Canada Synod was reorganized into three distinct synods - Central Canada, Eastern Canada, and Western Canada - but was known collectively as the Canada Section of the Lutheran Church in America (LCA-CS).
Scope and content
The fonds contains records of the Western Canada Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America. Includes administrative files, records related to the Seminary, and also material documenting the Synod's participation in Lutheran organizations.
Administrative files include minutes, reports, correspondence, publications, and other material.