Fonds S2002 - Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (Tavistock, ON) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (Tavistock, ON) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

S2002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1829-2014 (Creation)
    Creator
    Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (Tavistock, ON)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.3 m of textual records
9 microfilm reels
20 photographs : col., b&w
114 photographs : col.
51 photographs : b&w
2 objects

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1832-)

Administrative history

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church and cemetery, located in Sebastopol north of Tavistock, Ontario is a congregation in the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. The congregation was founded in 1832 by German settlers in and around South Easthope Township. In 1855 a post-and-beam church was built and named St. Dreieinigkeits Gemeinde. In 1884 a large yellow-brick church was consecrated and the congregation has worshipped in this building to the present day. Noteworthy changes to the building throughout the decades include the installation of a 4-faced clock in the church tower in 1886, a pipe organ in 1894, stained glass windows in the 1930s and 1940s and an education wing in the 1970s. Services were conducted in the German language until after World War I with special event German-language services continuing until the 1950s.

Trinity was first served by a series of itinerant pastors followed by Rev. F. Veit, 1872 - 1917; Rev. O.T.C. Stockmann, 1917 - 1957; Rev. A.J. Datars, 1957 - 1960; Rev. F.R. Mosher, 1960 - 1985; Rev. A. Baetz (Interim) 1986 - 1986; Rev. Bonnie Scharf, 1986 - 1993; Rev. W. Minke (Interim), 1994 - 1994; Rev. E. Mossman, 1994 - 2001; Rev. R Leonard (Interim), 2001 - 2002; Rev. R. Liedtke, 2002 - 2005; Rev D. Hammer (Interim) 2005 - 2007; and Rev. R. Brown, 2007 to the present day.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records created and accumulated by Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tavistock, Ontario. Includes handwritten records and printed records, photographs and other material. Series 6 consists of 9 microfilm reels of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church records; some of the original records are included in the fonds

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Previous identifier:

  • S100 3.48, files 3.48.1.1-3.48.11.4
  • LM20

Language of material

  • English
  • German

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area