Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Timothy's Lutheran Church (Copper Cliff, ON)
Physical description area
49 cm of photographs
3 microfilm reels
1 VHS videocasette
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Timothy's Lutheran Church was founded in Copper Cliff, Ontario in 1897. In 2016 it joined with St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sudbury, Ontario to form New Hope Lutheran Church. It is a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
The congregation was founded by Finnish settlers on September 12, 1897 as Wuoristo Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church. It was a member of the Suomi Conference of the Finnish-American Evangelical Lutheran Church. In 1931 Wuoristo transferred membership to the Canada Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America.
In the early years, services were held in private homes or the Temperance Society Hall. Without a permanent pastor, the congregation was served by various pastors that visited once every three months. In June 1915 Pastor Otto Maki, a recent graduate of Suomi College, accepted the call as the first permanent pastor at Wuoristo Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church.
In 1907 a church building was constructed on land provided by the Canadian Copper Company. A joint effort of the Wuoristo congregation and the Temperance Society, the 2-story building provided space for a Temperance Society Hall on the first floor, and a church on the second. The official opening took place on October 25, 1908. A major renovation led to the re-dedication of the church building in 1961.
In 1948 Wuoristo began to offer monthly English-language services. By 1953, services weekly services were held in English and Finnish. Starting in 1961, Church records, including Church Council minutes, were recorded in English only. In 1962 the congregation voted to change the name from Wuoristo Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church to St. Timothy’s Lutheran Church.
In 2016 St. Timothy's Lutheran Church and St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sudbury, Ontario joined together forming New Hope Lutheran Church. St. Timothy’s parsonage was sold in June 2016, but the church remains open.
Scope and content
The fonds contains the records of St. Timothy's Lutheran Church in Copper Cliff, Ontario. Includes church records, minutes, correspondence, photographs, historical information, publications and other material.
Series 1 contains church records dating from 1907 to 2002. Includes records of marriage, baptism, confirmation, death, funeral, burial, membership and obituaries.
Series 15 contains records of the Temperance Society of Copper Cliff, which as founded in 1894 and dissolved in 1914.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats