Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Norsk Lutheriski Kirki in America
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Resulting from a merger in 1917, the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America brought together Norwegian - American and Norwegian-Canadian synods under one administrative body. In addition to the Canada district, the NLCA was consisted of 5 American districts: the Eastern, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern and Pacific. Synodical activities operated under American management and the NLCA President was elected for 6 year terms, as the Administrative Head of the Church. Groups such as the Women’s Missionary Federation, the Lutheran Daughters of Reformation and the Luther League were operated and organized on the district, circuit and parish level.
Prior to the 1917 merger, the Canadian District of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America existed as three separate Norwegian-Canadian Synods. Following the merger, the Canada District of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada consisted of 10 circuits: Camrose, Manitoba, Southern Alberta, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Swift Current, Yorkton and Peace River. The Canada District of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada was incorporated in 1922 by an Act of Parliament under the name the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada and operated within the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. Through a series of mergers, the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America would become the Evangelical Lutheran Church, until the 1960 merger with the United Evangelical Lutheran Church and the American Lutheran Church, to form the American Lutheran Church. The Canadian segments of these Church bodies became known as the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church, which would become the autonomous Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada in 1967.