Series 1 - Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1903 - 1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada

Physical description area

Physical description

1.55 m of textual records
3 albums (ca. 130 photographs : b&w and col.)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1917-1960)

Administrative history

The Norwegian Lutheran Church of America (NLCA) was formed in 1917 through a merger of three Norwegian church bodies: The Hauge’s Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Synod in America (1876-1917); Norwegian Synod (1853-1917); and United Norwegian Lutheran Church in America (1890-1917). At the NLCA1946 convention, the name was changed to the Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELC). In 1960 ELC merged with the American Lutheran Church (1930-1960) and the United Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (1896-1960) to form a new body, The American Lutheran Church (1960-1987).

The Canada District of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada was incorporated in 1922 by an Act of Parliament under the name the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada and operated within the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. It consisted of 10 circuits: Camrose, Manitoba, Southern Alberta, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Swift Current, Yorkton and Peace River.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The series contains source material from the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America- Canada District, and its successor, the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada. It consists of minutes, reports, scrapbooks, correspondence, a written history of the NLCA and printed material that document the activities of the Norwegian Lutheran districts and circuits in Western Canada from 1903 to 1968. The series features records from various conferences and circuits, from the Board of Parish Education, the Youth Luther League, the Women’s Missionary Society, and the Home Missions Committee.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English
  • Norwegian

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres