Showing 1 results

Archival description
American Lutheran Church - Canada Section Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

American Lutheran Church - Canada District

This series contains source material on the Canada District of American Lutheran Church from 1906 to 1968. It consists of reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records, bulletins, programmes and presented papers that document the activities of the Canada District from within the Ohio Synod and the American Lutheran Church. The series includes records from the 1930 merger of the Ohio, Iowa and Buffalo Synods, along with the Closing Convention that marked the establishment of the Lutheran Church of Canada. The series contains records from various conferences and groups such as the Home Missions Committee, Foreign Missions, the Luther League, the Brotherhood of the Lutheran Church of America and the American Lutheran Church Women.

The Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was officially organized in 1908 within the Ohio Synod. Following a fire at the Trinity Lutheran Church of the Manitoba Synod, members the congregation appealed to the President of the Minnesota District of the Ohio Synod for a pastor. The call was answered in 1905 by a pastor from the Ohio Synod, which was subsequently followed by multiple petitions from Lemberg, Regina, Strassburg, Kipling and Saskatchewan. The Ohio Synod continued to supply the region with pastors, which eventually led to the establishment of the Canada District of the Ohio Synod in 1908. In 1930, the Ohio Synod merged with the Iowa and Buffalo Synods from the American Lutheran Church, and took on the name of the ALC. In 1960, the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church received a charter from the Parliament of Canada, under the name- the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada. In 1967, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada gained its independence from the American Lutheran Church, becoming the first autonomous Lutheran body in Canada.

The Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was first organized as a part of the Ohio Synod. Following a fire at the Trinity Lutheran Church of Winnipeg of the Manitoba Synod, a number of its members appealed to the President of the Minnesota District of the Ohio Synod, for a pastor to serve their community. The position was filled in 1905, and petitions from Lemberg, Regina, Strassburg, Kipling and Saskatchewan continued to be answered by the Ohio Synod. In 1908, the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was officially organized within the Ohio Synod. In 1930, the Ohio Synod merged with the Iowa and Buffalo Synods from the American Lutheran Church. In 1960, the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was incorporated into the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada.

American Lutheran Church - Canada Section