Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Hayunga, Herman
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Herman Hayunga (1799-1872) was a Lutheran pastor.
Hayunga was born in Charlotte Amalie in 1799 to Bernhard Hayunga and Mary Reuvenhagen, owners of a coffee plantation. Young Herman Hayunga attended school in St. Thomas and was fluent in Danish and French. He pursued studies in Halle, Germany and Oxford, England. In 1820 he accepted a position at Hartwick College in the United States. While teaching at Hartwick he began studying theology, graduating in 1825.
After graduation, Hayunga accepted a call to the parish in Williamsburg Township, Upper Canada. The congregation was without a leader, and without a church building. Their original St. George’s Church was taken over by the Church of England, and the Lutherans were forced to hold services in the homes of congregation members.
When he arrived in 1826, Herman Hayunga quickly formed two congregations in the area – St. John’s Church in Riverside, and St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Williamsburg. For several years he petitioned the government to deed St. George’s Church to the Lutheran congregation. When the government denied his request Hayunga demanded that the congregation receive financial compensation for the loss of property. In 1846 the government granted the Lutheran church the sum of 500 Canadian pounds.
In 1833 the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. John was consecrated by Rev. Hayunga. The new wooden frame building stood on a lot donated by church member Conrad Frymire. In 1863 a larger, brick church was built on the same lot.
Herman Hayunga was married to Elizabeth Barkley, a member of his congregation. He died on April 15, 1872.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Hayunga, Herman (Creator)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, Eastern Synod (Subject)