Series 2 - American Lutheran Church- Canada District, 1906-1968

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

American Lutheran Church- Canada District, 1906-1968

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Architectural drawing

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

2

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906 - 1968 (Creation)
    Creator
    American Lutheran Church - Canada Section

Physical description area

Physical description

1.90 m of textual records
3 photographs: b&w
2 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1906-1968)

Administrative history

The Canada Section of the American Lutheran Church was officially organized in 1908 within the Ohio Synod. Following a fire at the Trinity Lutheran Church of the Manitoba Synod, members the congregation appealed to the President of the Minnesota District of the Ohio Synod for a pastor. The call was answered in 1905 by a pastor from the Ohio Synod, which was subsequently followed by multiple petitions from Lemberg, Regina, Strassburg, Kipling and Saskatchewan. The Ohio Synod continued to supply the region with pastors, which eventually led to the establishment of the Canada Section of the Ohio Synod in 1908. In 1930, the Ohio Synod merged with the Iowa and Buffalo Synods from the American Lutheran Church, and took on the name of the American Lutheran Church. In 1960, the American Lutheran Church merged with the Evangelical Lutheran Church and the United Evangelical Lutheran Church, to become the American Lutheran Church. With this merger, the Canadian segment of churches from the ALC, ELC and the UELC, would be known as the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church, which became the autonomous Canadian Church body, referred to as the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada in 1967.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This series contains source material on the Canada District of American Lutheran Church from 1906 to 1968. It consists of reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records, bulletins, programmes and presented papers that document the activities of the Canada District from within the Ohio Synod and the American Lutheran Church. The series includes records from the 1930 merger of the Ohio, Iowa and Buffalo Synods, along with the Closing Convention that marked the establishment of the Lutheran Church of Canada. The series contains records from various conferences and groups such as the Home Missions Committee, Foreign Missions, the Luther League, the Brotherhood of the Lutheran Church of America and the American Lutheran Church Women.

The Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was officially organized in 1908 within the Ohio Synod. Following a fire at the Trinity Lutheran Church of the Manitoba Synod, members the congregation appealed to the President of the Minnesota District of the Ohio Synod for a pastor. The call was answered in 1905 by a pastor from the Ohio Synod, which was subsequently followed by multiple petitions from Lemberg, Regina, Strassburg, Kipling and Saskatchewan. The Ohio Synod continued to supply the region with pastors, which eventually led to the establishment of the Canada District of the Ohio Synod in 1908. In 1930, the Ohio Synod merged with the Iowa and Buffalo Synods from the American Lutheran Church, and took on the name of the ALC. In 1960, the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church received a charter from the Parliament of Canada, under the name- the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada. In 1967, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada gained its independence from the American Lutheran Church, becoming the first autonomous Lutheran body in Canada.

The Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was first organized as a part of the Ohio Synod. Following a fire at the Trinity Lutheran Church of Winnipeg of the Manitoba Synod, a number of its members appealed to the President of the Minnesota District of the Ohio Synod, for a pastor to serve their community. The position was filled in 1905, and petitions from Lemberg, Regina, Strassburg, Kipling and Saskatchewan continued to be answered by the Ohio Synod. In 1908, the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was officially organized within the Ohio Synod. In 1930, the Ohio Synod merged with the Iowa and Buffalo Synods from the American Lutheran Church. In 1960, the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church was incorporated into the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English
  • German

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres