American Lutheran Church - Canada Section

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

American Lutheran Church - Canada Section

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1906-1968

History

The Canada Section of the American Lutheran Church was officially organized in 1908 within the Ohio Synod. Following a fire at the Trinity Lutheran Church of the Manitoba Synod, members the congregation appealed to the President of the Minnesota District of the Ohio Synod for a pastor. The call was answered in 1905 by a pastor from the Ohio Synod, which was subsequently followed by multiple petitions from Lemberg, Regina, Strassburg, Kipling and Saskatchewan. The Ohio Synod continued to supply the region with pastors, which eventually led to the establishment of the Canada Section of the Ohio Synod in 1908. In 1930, the Ohio Synod merged with the Iowa and Buffalo Synods from the American Lutheran Church, and took on the name of the American Lutheran Church. In 1960, the American Lutheran Church merged with the Evangelical Lutheran Church and the United Evangelical Lutheran Church, to become the American Lutheran Church. With this merger, the Canadian segment of churches from the ALC, ELC and the UELC, would be known as the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church, which became the autonomous Canadian Church body, referred to as the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada in 1967.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC